Friday, February 10, 2012

Norwegian Wood and Ludus Sanctus


new shoes!
Tuesday, D. and  I went to go see SIFF's showing of Norwegian Wood. Visually it was just stunning and it followed Murakami's book pretty closely. D. had been a bit hesitant to watch it enjoyed it as well. I thought the acting was very well done and was happy that the dialogue was minimal as I could follow along a little with out having to read subtitles. (Or I should say I was happy I could follow anything at all, my Japanese is pretty shabby). Anyway also bad at reviewing movies! If you liked the book by Murakami or just like visually lush movies I highly recommend it! Oh and I wore my new Jeffrey Campbell wedges which I am very happy with.  The only downside to the experience was the movie theater was FREEZING! We were both shivering by the end of it, despite wearing our coats and in my case gloves.





Tobi in front of her art

dancer
Today, I went to see my friend Tobi's visual art and performance night, Ludus Sactus, at Capital Hill Art Walk. Tobi shared the walls with another artist Rae Diamond. I wish I would have gotten a close up of some of Tobi's pieces as you can't see them to well in the photo. There was also a performance of harmonic singing and gamelan with traditional classical Indian dance. There were several little kids in attendance, as it was held in a funky kids clothing store, I was really impressed at how generally well behaved they were. They did seem to like the part of the dance where he was the Monkey King! The dancer (who's name I did not catch) was quite expressive and it was interesting seeing the story danced out. At one point he was an old man and his whole face and body transformed, I was too busy watching to take a photo. He gave us a quick walk through of what the different gestures meant and a brief translation of the song, which helped.  The singer and musicians were also quite talented, I just tend to focus on dance as I understand that more!







No comments:

Post a Comment